Committee Spotlight: Marketing Communications Committee
Q&A by Marketing Communications Committee Chair Lori Greene.
What is the primary or key purpose of the committee?
The Marketing Communications Committee supports BHMA’s mission by promoting our messaging and communicating key activities within the association and positioning BHMA as the industry leader. We also educate and inform the industry and related channels about public safety and building security, to increase awareness of the BHMA standards and the Certified Products Directory (CPD), and to proactively share information about our work in code development.
What are some current initiatives run by the committee?
The Marketing Communiations Committee is involved in all BHMA initiatives to some extent, as we communicate internally and externally about what’s happening within the association. Some of our recent projects have been:
- Launch of the newly redesigned CPD, including educational and promotional efforts to raise awareness and ensure that member companies had the information needed to populate the data
- Development of a learning module to educate employees of BHMA member companies about the association and opportunities to engage with the various committees
- Creation of a school security task group as an industry partnership with the National Association of State Fire Marshals (NASFM), including development of educational materials on classroom security
- Promotion of Secure Home - a consumer program to educate the average residential consumer about certified residential door hardware
- Continued education on BHMA’s efforts in code development, including articles in trade journals and an accessibility page on the BHMA website
- Evolution of our ongoing digital strategy, which involves promoting BHMA messaging in a variety of methods including email campaigns, the newly-redesigned website, blog posts, social media and analytic reports
If your committee had a mascot, what would it be?
Our mascot would be an owl. We are always seeking new opportunities, we’re strategic planners and we impart wisdom through effective communication.
The Marketing Communications Committee is an open committee, and we welcome members from all BHMA member companies. We would love to see active participation from people with marketing experience, to help shape some of our campaigns and communications. One can join the Marketing Communications Committee as a current BHMA member by emailing Larry at [email protected] to be added to the meeting invite.