BHMA was founded in 1925 as the Hardware Manufacturers’ Statistical Association. Today BHMA is nationally recognized for its leadership role in ensuring the quality and performance of builders hardware.
More than 80 percent of all U.S. manufacturers of builders hardware are BHMA members. Together these companies produce the vast majority of the hardware items used in the nation’s commercial and institutional buildings -- from hinges and locks to door controls and exit devices. Any organization that manufactures and sells builders hardware in the United States is eligible for Association membership. Join BHMA
BHMA is dedicated to serving its member companies, their customers and the industry through its active leadership as
the collective voice of the industry on issues of concern;
the sole organization accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) to develop and maintain performance standards for architectural hardware;
recognized advocate for industry before commerce, trade and regulatory bodies;
official sponsor of third-party certification of builders hardware products;
technical experts before key building code, fire, and life safety groups;
- To protect and secure the welfare, safety and common good of the general public.
- To monitor significant actions by governmental authorities and code bodies which may impact upon the builders hardware industry.
- To engage in technical and other cooperative efforts to improve industry products.
- To work jointly with industry leaders involved in hardware, security, door and safety and continue leading the industry’s proactive actions.
- To educate and promote the use of products of the builders hardware industry including ANSI/BHMA Standards and Products that have passed third party testing as per the BHMA Certified Product Directory.
BHMA is organized into member groups according to hardware category or "product section". These product sections are also used by BHMA to universally classify hardware products. Join BHMA
|A||Butts, hinges & related items|
|B||Cabinet hardware and cabinet hinges|
|C||Door controls (including checking floor hinges & overhead concealed closers)|
|D||Sliding & folding door hardware|
|E||Rim, night latches, dead locks, padlocks, key blanks, key control systems & miscellaneous locking devices|
|F||Locks & lock trim (including cylindrical tubular locks)|
|J||Architectural door trim, push & kick plates, door pulls, weatherstripping, etc.|
|P||Power doors and components|
|Q||Integrated Door & Hardware Assemblies|